Ten reasons independent schools are favoured by many
- Greater parental choice – though ultimately the school decides who to admit.
- Academic standards are generally high.
- Fewer pupils per class – greater individual attention.
- Most offer an extensive range of extracurricular activities.
- Sport for all is usually encouraged. Most offer a range to ensure there is something for everyone.
- Some are in very beautiful buildings and/or surroundings.
- Facilities at some of the schools are amongst the finest in the world.
- A choice of day, boarding or a mix of the two.
- They may provide good networking opportunities.
- They may help with entry to top universities.
It used to be the case that the upper crust and those who were themselves privately educated sent their children to independent schools. Nowadays, more than half the children attending fee-paying schools have parents who are first time buyers. However, as school fees rise beyond the rate of inflation and austerity bites, this is showing signs of reversing.